Colorful flowers, blossoming trees and nice temperatures are not the only things that return to Oakland County as spring requires keep.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard reminds people that spring is also the period that delivers out nefarious scammers looking to prey on unsuspecting property owners under the guise of presenting several solutions this sort of as driveway sealing or repair service, property advancements, roof repairs or tree trimming at what appears to be an unusually reduced rate.
“Unfortunately, each and every spring we get termed by householders — frequently seniors — who have been duped into paying in money for some provider — a new roof, driveway or some other major expense — and they really do not acquire what was promised,” Bouchard explained.
“The would-be fix individual features an unbelievable deal on the repair or assistance, asks for cash upfront below the guise of needing resources to finish the task and then either leaves and doesn’t appear again or only partly finishes the position. Both way, the homeowner is out the funds and the mend person is very long gone.”
Bouchard suggests that homeowners use trustworthy companies who are bonded and have a background in the local community and always be wary about permitting people today into your property.
“There are lots of corporations and folks who are dependable and offer the top quality repairs and products and services we all want,” Bouchard explained. “They are joyful to respond to your thoughts, present references and stand driving their function. If you find anyone who does not remedy your questions, conclude the conversation proper there and go on.”
At house, look at these basic safety guidelines:
• Be careful when dealing with anyone who presents a provider you did not ask for.
• Generally inquire for identification right before you open the doorway, in particular if you are not common with the corporation or the man or woman.
• Do not pay for tree-trimming get the job done by people today saying to be from a utility contractor. Utility line clearance get the job done is carried out absolutely free of cost.
• Do not pay for the entire occupation upfront or with income.
• Be wary of “today only” deals.
• Ask for references.
Call the Sheriff’s Business office at (248) 858-5000 or your community law enforcement office if you believe the man or woman at your doorway is a con artist.